2012 was an amazing year when we facilitated the raising of more than £560,000 for different charities across the UK and overseas.
Each year, we choose a different charity to support with a percentage of any profit that we make as a company. Last year, it was AfriKids (working with children on the street in Ghama); this year we have chosen to support Maranatha Gateway, working in Uganda.
They are working to set up a Vocational Training Centre in Sozi, Kalangala on the Ssese Islands on Lake Victoria in Uganda. Sozi (Luganda for a rocky hill) is a small peninsula of jungle and oil palm plantations on the east coast of Bugala Island, Uganda. This is one of the beautiful Ssese Islands in Lake Victoria – just 40 miles off the mainland.
Maranatha Gateway intends to train people in the following skills:
· Brick making, Building and Carpentry to help them build better homes
· Crop Growing for better eating and also potentially for selling
· Animal Husbandry (Goats) to help a sustained income
· Tilapia Breeding (a local fish) again for eating and selling
· Basic Engine Maintenance mainly for motor bikes and outboard motors
· Basic Numeracy as many locals have never learnt counting and measuring
· Basic English as this is the country’s main official language
We want to thank all of you who have taken part in any challenge, pre-expedition training weekend, medical first aid course, or other event with us this year as you have helped support this charity
We have specifically bought a jeep for the charity and are looking at supporting other innovations such as solar power, wind power and building projects.